Wednesday, October 3, 2012

IWSG Wednesday: Follow-through



Happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Wednesday. Thank you again to Alex J. Cavanaugh, the creator of the group. The first Wednesday of every month is dedicated to this group of supportive writers. If it's something you're not familiar with, then please click on Alex's link above for more information and to sign up!

I needed to turn from the direction I was headed in a month ago, and my first step was to listen to motivational tapes on my drive to work each morning. I started with Anthony Robbins's Personal Power II program, which I last listened to about six months ago. As Tony says, "Repetition is the mother of skill," and I need that kind of refresher.

One of my key learnings that keeps most people from what they want is not a lack of skill or knowledge, but follow-through. For me, I know several strategies for promoting and selling my book, Provex City, but I've yet to consistently follow-through. There is always more to learn, but it's important to start taking action on what I already know, otherwise that continual search for knowledge becomes procrastination.

What I already know:
  • Approach book bloggers for reviews and interviews
  • Get involved in discussions on Kindleboards
  • Take advantage of Goodreads
  • Attend/participate in local conferences
And that's just the tip of the iceberg, but I've got start somewhere to get my book, and soon to be books, in front of different people every day. That's my plan of action as I work through the editing of SUSY Asylum. The few beta reader responses I've gotten thus far have been overwhelmingly positive, which is beginning to fuel my follow-through to promote Provex City because every reader needs to start there.

What are your goals and strategies for the coming month to make it more successful than the last? Are you looking forward to Halloween? I look forward to October every year, and this year is no different. Thanks for your support, and as always, thank you for reading!

22 comments:

  1. October is my favorite month by far... there's a magic to this month!

    And you're doing ALL the right things, Michael... and I love the whole thought about following through... it's SO TRUE... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm motivated just reading about you getting motivated! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could be speaking directly to me. You described me exactly linking procrastination to the continual search for ways to promote when I already know how. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Promoting is hard work, Michael LOL. I don't blame you for not following through on some of these things. I too am a procrastinator on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'm not the only one. That makes me feel better.

      Delete
  5. You have a list and know what to do!
    I know a few authors who swear by the Kindleboards, but I've never ventured there. Think I have enough going on already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, you've had a lot of success with what you're doing. Continue to do what works!

      Delete
  6. I too am not the best at follow through, and it's definitely key. And I think we all fall in that trap of our quest for knowledge turning into procrastination. I know I sure have. Multiple times too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are on the right track! Following through with your goals is a good habit to keep up, that's for sure.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post!
    Tony Robbins is an awesome motivator and so full of energy! Does he ever sleep?! LOL
    I love this quote by him... "More than anything else, I believe it's our decisions, not the conditions of our lives, that determine our destiny."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great quote! He definitely doesn't sleep much.

      Delete
  9. Great post. It's easy to make a list, another thing to make these things happen... but I can see that you believe in your work and want to give it the best possible chance. Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hoping to finish my latest WIP this month...we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exciting! I wish you the best on that.

      Delete
  11. I procrastinated on promotions, but with that experience behind me I have a better idea of what to do in the future.

    Good luck with everything. I enjoyed the positive energy of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michael, you are dead on. Authors need to follow through with marketing their books. I have to admit, that part of the publishing industry doesn't interest me at all. I'll need to gather the know-how and motivation before I'm published or I'll fail at it miserably. Best of luck with your marketing endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Follow through has never been my strong suit, I'm so easily distracted! Remember Pixar's Up? Well, I feel that life keeps yelling at me 'squirrel!' at every turn, and it never fails to make loose my focus... So, for the reminder of the year my goal is to keep concentrating in moving along with my novel, trying to sell the pieces I already have, and having a positive attitude. Keep your fingers crossed!

    I wish you tons of sales and amazing success with your book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right. Following through is so important! (Is it sad that marketing is my second favorite part?) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you're reading my mind. I know, you know, I've been all over the place lately. The strangest part of it happened during Camp NaNo in August, and I haven't completely gotten past it. Weird. Your listening to your personal power cd, reminds me I've got an audio book by the lady who wrote The Secret. It coaches you on finding, harnessing, and using personal power within yourself. Maybe I ought to re-listen to it. The world knows, I could use it right now.

    Following through is a must in this business. First step is admitting it, so you're definitely on the right track. Keep up the positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So true. Following through is one of the main reasons why I always need to find things I'm passionate about.

    If I care deeply, following through happens on its own for me.

    Like orchids. I recently bought one and found a deep love for them, so I'm spending a lot of time right now studying how to care for them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went to a super cool Halloween party this weekend just gone, so I've had fun in October too :)

    Following through is definitely the key!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs