Wednesday, November 7, 2012

IWSG Wednesday: Off to the Editor!



Happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Wednesday. Thank you again to Alex J. Cavanaugh, the creator of the group. The first Wednesday of every month is dedicated to this group of supportive writers. If it's something you're not familiar with, then please click on Alex's link above for more information and to sign up!

I haven’t been online much in the past few weeks, but that was due to powering through my editing of SUSY Asylum. And I can emphatically say: I did it! Okay, well it’s not done, but I sent the manuscript to my editor this weekend so he can finally work his magic. It is out of my hands for a few weeks so I can try to think about other things for a change. SUSY Asylum, the second book in The Lorne Family Vault, has been my obsession for most of the year. And now it’s time to start the third book. I’ve been in full editing mode for the past three months. It will feel good to start writing again.

So far I have about a fourth of my outline for the third book complete. I’ll start writing before I’m completely done because I change the story throughout the writing process anyway. Why wait until the very end? Getting back into the heads of my characters while they sprint through their continued adventure will help my ideas develop. When I try to set aside time for outlining, I usually come up blank. The big ideas emerge while I’m working on other things, forcing me to jot down notes to save for later. And then I plot out the next leg of the adventure and work through the inevitable holes.

It’s exciting to start thinking about and planning a new project, but I’m also plagued by a great fear of the unknown. Will my ideas run out with this one? Is SUSY Asylum the best I can do? I love the story, but I hope not. I hope my best story is yet to be written. Time will tell and all I can really do is keep writing.

How has your writing (or editing) been going over the past month? The holidays are nearly upon us. Any fun plans to share? As always, thank you for reading!

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the edits! I know what you mean by a project consuming all focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I feel like I'm out of ideas, it never lasts long before something just strikes me out of the blue, and I'm off!

    I bet you find yourself with a new idea, before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congratulations on getting SUSY to the editor. That's a great feeling, isn't it? I can't wait to read the finished product. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting stuff! It is nice to stand back from a project for a bit after having worked on it for so long. And don't worry, you will never run out of ideas! You can always find inspiration for new stories.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Editing and revising myself. I do find it soul sucking and would like a new idea to come along. Alas, I'm intended to finish this one first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on sending it off. I'm in the first third of edits of a novel and as usual when I'm doing edits, I can anxious to start something new.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hit a plausibility snag with my HR and have been stalled doing research. I'm almost ready to start writing again. Woohoo! :D

    Good luck with your new WIP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started writing on my sequel to "Oculus." LOL I've got 2400 words. However, I like the words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait, wait, wait... hold the phone. You're already starting book three?! Seriously, you're putting many of us other IWSG members to shame. Ok, I'm kidding... but still, this news is impressive. One, I hope your editor is fast because I'm looking forward to SUSY Asylum. Two, outlines are rough. I also write better when I just start jotting down ideas, however, as I learned from some screenwriting books I found lying around my house, structure is key and an outline will ensure a solid backbone to your story. As far as your best work yet to come, they say writing improves with experience... and considering how great Provex City was, I have no doubt that the continuing adventure will be just as fantastic. Your dedication continues to be an inspiration... as always, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go!! Your story, your success so far, are an inspiration to us all. :) I've been meaning to email you. I'll shoot you one as soon as I'm finished visiting IWSG posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So proud of you, Michael! Way to get those edits done! And you definitely haven't written your best work yet... that's the beauty about always striving to be better and putting our passion into work... we'll keep improving... right???? (I try to say without any doubt!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you're on a roll! I'm doing the "try to balance writing with life" thing at the moment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. I so wish I had the problems as you.
    As I wrote in my own post, I'm having problems guiding my stories to a satisfying ending. I kind of get stuck in the middle.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Michael! We are always afraid that we've already seen the best of us, but I do believe there is so much more to come for us. Hang in there and keep believing in yourself. You are a very talented writer that I'm sure will surprise us all with new and improved stories. Can't wait to check SUSY Asylum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great news! I'm very happy for you. Sorry it took so long for me to stop by. Hope the editing goes well. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs