Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Level Up! Blogfest




Thank you to Allison @ Geek Banter and Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom for hosting this blogfest! The game I've chosen is Donkey Kong Country for the Super Nintendo. When I finally upgraded from the NES to the SNES in 1995, one of the first games I bought was Donkey Kong Country. It was the first game I'd ever played that had really cool looking 3D graphics. It felt way ahead of the other games out there at the time and I was hooked immediately. And as you may already know, I love music, and I was blown away by the soundtrack to this game. Its ethereal, trance-like music, coupled with the state of the art graphics, made for a gaming experience that transported me into another world. Donkey Kong Country is a game I'll always remember, and the music in the clip below really takes me back.


Another item related to gaming that deserves a spot in this post is a fantastic book I read last year about the ultimate gaming experience, a virtual reality role-playing game, titled Ready Player One. It is a dystopian novel about the most elaborate Easter egg hunt through a virtual utopia. If you're interested in video games, role playing games, 1980s pop culture, with a sprinkling of romance, then you'll love Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.


Be sure to check out the other awesome bloggers participating in this blogfest. Thanks, Allison and Jamie!

18 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled that you chose this game, because it's my fave. :) I didn't write about it this time, as I had already done so in the past (I linked to it in my post), but it's still my fave! I love the soundtrack as well and I'm so very sad that my SNES has broken down. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a few Donkey Kong fans today! I loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the original Donkey Kong, but I never upgraded my Nintendo, so missed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading, and watching the clip! Thank you for sharing!! See mine too please, Sandy

    sandysanderellasmusings

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I LOVE LOVE LOVE REady Player one! I actually went to Ernie Cline's Book Signing in Hollywood last year and got to sit in his DeLorean!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want the book now...that sounds like a really good read! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never played Donkey Kong Country, but I used to love the original Donkey Kong game.

    I mentioned Ready Player One in my post today too. A fantastic book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ADORE Donkey Kong Country. As soon as it was available to download from the Wii store I got it. It's so filled with retro gaming goodness!

    I have Ready Play One on my shelf just begging to be read. Soon, my precious ...

    Thanks for entering the blogfest, Michael!

    Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only ever played old school Donkey Kong on a Gameboy. Shows you the level of my gaming prowess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I've played DK in the few incarnations I was never a big fan. But I've definitely added "Ready Player One" to my "to read" list. :3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will I lose some geek cred if I admit I haven't played Donkey Kong? Ok then, I won't admit it. That book sounds pretty awesome too. Thanks for participating in the blogfest, Michael!

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't thought about Donkey Kong in years. Great game. I don't think I've ever played Donkey Kong Country. Thanks for introducing the book. It sound really good. Have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember the first Donkey Kong games. They were so cool for their time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never played Donkey Kong, or really any other games for the Nintendo, I prefer PC games. They look good, though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't played Donkey Kong since it was the old, old game. Sounds like it would be fun to play Donkey Kong Country! And that book sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was never very good at Donkey Kong in the arcade when I was a kid and so never had my parents buy any versions of it for console systems we had. I have no doubt I missed out. Have you seen that Donkey Kong documentary that came out a few years ago? If not it is well worth checking out.

    Loved Ready Player One. It was such a trip back in time for me as I grew up in the 80's and got so many of the references. I listened to the audio version which I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, Donkey Kong totally takes me back! My brother, sister and I each had different talents so we took turns on levels ... my sis had fast speedy fingers, my brother good reflexes, and I was ... well I guess stubborn?

    I'd never heard of that book, I'll definitely check it out! Have you read Insignia by SJ Kincaid? It was released this fall -- in a similar vein it sounds like, and such a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Game!! I had totally forgotten about Donkey Kong :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs