Monday, April 22, 2013

SCBWI Summer Conference & A Muddy Good Time!


I hope everyone's had a great weekend. I've had family in town for the past week, so it's been a little hectic...but definitely a blast. Last Thursday we made the short drive to Disneyland, which was my daughter's first time. She loved Astro Blasters and the churros (just like her mommy!). Then on Saturday we did a 5K mud run in Temecula (little Gwendolyn had to sit this one out). That showed me how out of shape I'm in. I survived, but I'm still sore. I'm not really a big fan of running, but a mud run makes it fun. You can see my after picture. I need to start training for a next one!



One the literary side of things, registration for the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators) summer conference began last Thursday.

Click on the picture to visit the webpage
This will be my third year going and I'm very much looking forward to it. They always have great speakers and break-out sessions. And the Hyatt Regency isn't too shabby, either. This year I've signed up to get a professional consultation. For a small extra fee (I hope it's worth it), I'll be submitting 10 pages ahead of time, which will be reviewed by a literary agent or editor. Then during the conference, I'll get one-on-one feedback from that agent or editor. I'm excited, but a little intimidated. Now all I have to do is start my new writing project so I have something to submit...but more about that later.

To those of you participating in the April A to Z challenge, good luck on the final leg! You're almost there! I haven't gotten around to many blogs over the past few weeks, but I'll try to do a better job of that this week. Happy Monday!

9 comments:

  1. Well, looks like the two of you didn't get too muddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great conference. A to Z has been a challenge in more than name this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW- I'm always impressed by anyone who runs that far at all, much less in mud. I only run when someone is chasing me. That's how out of shape, I am.

    Have a great time at the conference! Sounds like an awesome one.

    And I am really looking forward to the end of the challenge. I am getting pretty tired. A-Z is a lot more of a challenge than I thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mud runs are really fun! Hope the conference is also great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the 5K, Michael! That's wonderful! And love the pic!

    I'm also going to the LA SCBWI conference this year---and it'll be my third in a row too, LOL! I love it. I've already got the hotel booked (Hubby is coming with me this year!) and I better go register too. And that's great you're doing the consultation stuff--I bet that'll be awesome!

    Hope your mini vaca was fabulous :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had fun and that's a great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute picture! I did a mud run once. It was definitely an experience. Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, I'm not a real runner. I enjoy doing it, but I can't do it for longer than 2 minutes without my heart threatening to give up. Sad, I know, but I would totally risk a heart attack for a muddy marathon! Great idea. I'll look for one in my area! Thanks for the inspiration =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, I wish I had the funds to go to the big conferences! The L.A. one would be my choice, so I could swing by and meet my agent! I really should start saving up for next year. Maybe I could loop it w/ a Mother's Day gift from my girls, too. *wheels turning*

    So glad you get to go! What a fabulous opportunity!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs