Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Sound of Inspiration


I'm constantly on the lookout for new songs that inspire my writing. I love making playlists that whisk me away to another world, into the worlds of my stories where I can be an onlooker--the observer (yes, that's a Fringe reference)--and record the action as it unfolds with the magic of fiction.

Though with the search for something new, I sometimes forget about the familiar and the power it can hold. Finding a familiar song with a new adaptation or arrangement can truly be as amazing as finding a new one. A new take on an old idea can take on a full life of its own.

I found two such songs in this past week, which I've now listened to countless times. One new. One covered. The new song I found was Ellie Goulding's Bittersweet, which is unfortunately only available on the Breaking Dawn, Part 2 soundtrack (album only). I have very little interest in purchasing the entire album for one song, no matter how much I love it, so I've just been listening to it on YouTube.


The covered song I found is an amazingly ethereal rendition of Elliott Smith's Twilight. It's one of my favorite Elliott Smith songs (which I put on my SUSY Asylum playlist), but this harp version gives it new life. 


Maybe these songs will inspire new stories of your own or just provide a few minutes of relaxation and appreciation for what beauty is present all around us. Either way, I hope you enjoy them. Happy listening & happy writing!

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes remixes can lead our mind down a new path.
    And don't blame you for not wanting to purchase the Breaking Dawn soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Michael, I go searching for songs to go with my poems....sometimes easier than others.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music can inspire a lot. I don't use it as much anymore. I'm so out of date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LGF has been really doing well with its book adaptations lately. Part of that success is no doubt attributed to their music. Music sets the mood

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love finding new music and sources of inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs