Wednesday, August 21, 2013

YA Book Adaptations I'm Excited About!


There are a lot of young adult books in the pipeline to be converted into the next big blockbusters. I loved The Hunger Games and am looking forward to Catching Fire, with a scheduled release for November. But there are two new YA trilogies coming to the big screen in 2014 that I'm excited about:

The Maze Runner, written by James Dashner

 The Maze Runner Concept Art via EW
The Maze Runner is an exciting dystopian adventure/mystery where a group of teenage boys with no memory of their former lives live on a self-sufficient compound (nicknamed "the Glade"), surrounded by a colossal maze, which houses unspeakable horrors. Then a girl is brought into the compound, which (as to be expected) changes everything... The maze, which used to close at night, now remains open. The Grievers can come into the Glade. Alby and Teresa have a telepathic connection, and a mysterious previous relationship. All the rules of the Glade are changing, and power is shifting. The runners must run for their lives to save the group. The Maze Runner has dynamic characters, its own slang, plenty of action, and an ending that will blow you away. It's a great story and I sure hope Hollywood doesn't screw it up. February, 2014

 
Divergent, written by Veronica Roth

Divergent is another dystopian novel set in post-apocalyptic Chicago, where the society is split into five factions, each representing a different value. Everyone is supposed to fit neatly into one faction, but Beatrice Prior is one of the dreaded anomalies--she is divergent (but of course!). It's not long before she discovers secret plots between factions that are certain to tear her seemingly Utopian society apart, promising to destroy everything and everyone she loves. This trilogy is being hailed as the next Hunger Games, and I believe and hope that it is. I found myself more engrossed in the characters and thought the story was more original than The Hunger Games. What I found even more impressive was Divergent was written by a debut author of 22. I have my fingers crossed that this will be a good adaptation. March, 2014


What movie adaptations are you looking forward to?

9 comments:

  1. The Maze Runner sounds interesting. Of course I'm excited to see the second Hobbit movie as well as Ender's Game. And I don't care what anyone says, neither book is young adult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise Divergent was coming out as a movie adaptation, I'm definitely looking forward to that! The Maze Runner looks pretty good, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo... AGREED!!!!!!

    I'm stoked for Maze Runner AND Divergent... they will both be beautiful on screen. Can't wait...

    And I hope things are well with you, Michael! I'm ready for another conference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those will be excellent! I'm also looking forward to seeing the Mortal Instruments: City of Bones this week (I think!). I read the series a couple of years ago. I love movie adaptations of books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to Divergent. I think I like it better than The Hunger Games. I'm reserving judgement on Mortal Instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know Divergent was being made into a movie!! I better move it up in my TBR pile.

    I can hardy wait for Laini Taylors Daughter of Smoke & Bone movie adaptation. I LOVE the book and only hope the movie does it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, so when i'm at the library i see maze runner and i'm drawn to it, but haven't picked it up. gosh, ok, it' a sign. i will! saw the poster for the hunger games newest and i can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read about the Divergent movie and it came across and boring and lacking the challenges and action present in The Hunger Games, so I was about to dismiss it. However, hearing you say that you liked it better than THG makes me think I'll give it another chance. Even more intriguing is your review of The Maze Runner. I don't know how I hadn't even heard of that one, but I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the reviews. The adaptation I was most looking forward to already came out and it wasn't YA... but I loved WWZ and thought they did a great job with the film despite having to cut some key action.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs