Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Indie Life: The Inevitable Change



According to the latest Indie Life newsletter, this will be the feature's final month.  I'm sure that the Indelibles will live on, which continues to be a great resource for indie authors like myself. I didn't get a chance to be part of this 2nd Wednesday of the month feature for very long, and I missed the last few months during my blogging hiatus, but I wanted to make sure I gave the feature a proper goodbye.

Change is inevitable. If we as indie authors don't recognize this and are unwilling to adapt to all the change going on around us, then we will be left behind. This isn't an industry where we can get comfortable and coast. There are new developments, new suggestions from other successful authors, and new opportunities opening up every single day. Most of us don't have the time to search for every new idea, but we do need to dedicate a certain percentage of our time to finding a few of these innovations and applying them. The key word is "apply" because it is too easy to become paralyzed by research. I am guilty of that way too often.

One thing I just found out is that Kindle Direct Publishing now allows authors to upload their books in multiple formats, not just a .mobi file anymore. I don't remember this being an option a year ago (though I could have just overlooked it). You can now upload an ePub, HTML, or MS Word file as well. With this discovery, I'll have to experiment which format is the easiest and cleanest for me to upload, hopefully allowing me to reallocate some conversion time to more writing time. My writing time is a precious commodity!

Also, there is less than a week left to enter the Provex City giveaway at Book Divas. I am giving away 3 signed paperbacks and 10 ebook copies of the first book in the Lorne Family Vault series. The giveaway ends February 17th. Visit the official giveaway page HERE. Good luck!

9 comments:

  1. That's cool you have more options now. Sorry Indie Life is ending its monthly posting, but you still have the website and all its resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good things must end. Thanks for the heads up on the different formats available for self-publishing on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize it was ending... I DID notice a lot of people not doing it, but I thought it was a good way to connect.

    Interesting that Kindle Direct is getting more flexible. I wonder if they will then be downloadable so we can share without all the converting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about being part of the indie blog thing but I kept forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad! You're right about the need for flexibility though. Thankfully, authors are always coming up with new ways to connect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really thank the author of this article, the article has great significance for me, it just leads me to do better things for this life. Very meaningful, thank you very much, wish you happy.. Explore a supernatural world and master the art of wizady in game sims 4 cheats : realm of magic. Coming on

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs