Thursday, February 16, 2012

Waiting for Inspiration

The Lorne Family Vault Series was born one day in December of 2008. I accompanied my sister and her boyfriend to a hospital in LA. He was going into a long awaited surgery and I wanted to be there to lend moral support. My sister and I were in the waiting room for much of the day, praying the surgery would go well. And it did.

It's in the moments you least expect when inspiration strikes, and a few of those times it's a direct hit. On that nervous day, sitting impatiently in the waiting room for more hours then I care to remember, I envisioned the Lorne Family Vault Series in fast forward. I had begun working on a young adult book a few months before, with ideas to make it into a series. I was three chapters in. But it was that morning in the hospital that I decided that the book wasn't working. I didn't really want to start over (like I had already written so much), but I knew I had to significantly change where my story was going.

I started bouncing ideas off my sister. It definitely took our minds off the surgery that was in progress a few floors away. But also the ideas really began to flow. I didn't bring a notebook to write anything down, but the ideas were so vivid I could see the story unfolding like a movie. Thank God I remembered nearly everything we discussed that day. Kafka Lorne and the rest of the Lorne family had been born.

I divided all the major plot points and cliffhangers into four books. Much like what J. K. Rowling said about Harry Potter, I saw how my series was going to end. I saw the climax sequence. Now all I had to do was get to it.

As you can see in the sidebar of this blog, I'm well into a first draft of the second book. And I'm so excited about it, almost more so than I am about Provex City! I've loosely outlined the third book and have major plot points for the fourth book. If I develop more twists in the adventure, then I'm not opposed to adding a fifth book. I still know the ending.

A few days after the successful surgery, I scrapped the chapters I'd written and began writing a book titled Shroud Lifted, which, after it was completed, I renamed Provex City. It's been a long time coming and it is almost here.

Welcome to Provex City!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs