Monday, September 17, 2012

Genre Favorites Blogfest



This is another one day blogfest event hosted by the one and only Ninja Captain Alex. We are listing our favorites in music, movies, and books. And then adding a favorite guilty pleasure in one of the three genres. Enjoy!

Music: The Used (Aternative/Hard Rock)

Over the past few years The Used have become one of my favorite bands. I've talked in other posts about Elliott Smith and Tool. The Used have joined the ranks of those artists on my list of favorites. Each of their albums have such range and they're continually experimenting with their sound. The Used were first known for relentless screaming and crashing guitars, but they are so much more. From their third album, Smother Me is a taste of their softer side.


Movie: Donnie Darko (Sci-fi, Dark Comedy)

Donnie Darko has become a cult classic--a strangely wonderful movie. But it's certainly not for everyone. He had been in other movies, but this was my introduction to Jake Gyllenhaal. Donnie Darko has disturbed teens, time travel, awesome '80s music, a haunting six-foot rabbit, and a discussion on the sexuality of Smurfs. What's not to love? I recommend the theatrical version over the unrated version, mainly do to changes in the music.



Book: The Harry Potter Series (Fantasy MG/YA)

Harry Potter rekindled my interest in children's books. The story in its totality, over all seven books, is epic and brilliant. I truly hope they stand the test of time and are required reading in schools one day soon like Tolkien is today.







Guilty Pleasure: Fifty Shades of Grey (NA Romance/Erotica)

I probably shouldn't have, but I read Fifty Shades of Grey about a month back and it was terribly entertaining--I mean, terrible and entertaining. I am always interested in the big phenomenons, curious as to why they become so popular. Anastasia Steele does sound a lot like Bella Swan, but I so hope Kristen Stewart doesn't play her in the movie.





I hope you enjoyed my favorites. Now it's time to check out some of the other participants in the blogfest. But come back Wednesday for a special discussion with M. Pax as I'm invited onto the exclusive Spacedock 19. Cheers!

27 comments:

  1. Harry Potter? You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darko was a good movie until the end - then it became a great movie! What a twist.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never watched Darko, so will have to look it up. I have also never heard The Used, so another job to do!
    You are a naughty boy Michael! Fifty Shades of Grey is racing around our office at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. potter rules... darko rules, still very underrated film.

    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see "Fifty Shades of Grey" getting some love from a man. That's just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been tempted by 50 shades, but haven't read it yet...now it is on my list :D

    Darko...I have been wanting to see this one! Thanks Michael for such an intriguing list~
    I love the look of your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harry is epic. I predict they'll stand the test of time. They certainly came at the exact right time to turn my oldest into the eclectic reader he is today. He read the first one in first grade, and then there was no stopping him.
    I guess I'll have to read 50 Shades...everyone is and I hate to miss a cultural phenomenon. Though I've neither read or seen any of the Twilight stuff.
    Nice to meet you!
    My entry for the blogfest is:
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope Harry Potter sticks around for a while, too. Then again, I just saw that my alma mater has an actual quidditch team...so I think we're safe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Harry Potter is such a good choice. I think they will withstand the test of time.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Tool! Didn't the singer move on over to Perfect Circle? I love them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL!

    Michael, you are TOO AWESOME... loving your guilty pleasure. Now I HAVE to read it! ;)

    And a fabulous line up :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never heard of The Used before, but I do like the song you selected.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! I love a good scifi or dark comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Harry Potter series are the best books ever written. And I love Elliot Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read 50 Shades for much the same reason.

    Great post. :)
    Participant #125

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read 50 Shades to and found out it wasn't my flav.
    Can't go wrong with HP though, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never seen Donnie Darko, but I am a Jake Gyllenhaal fan so maybe I should check it out. I didn't read 50 Shades and likely won't.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Donnie Darko and Harry Potter. Awesome!

    I don't know The Used but I'm on my way to check them out now...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Michael. Before I forget, I really love the look of your site.
    You know, I've never seen Donnie Darko. I've really got to rectify that one of these days. You cracked me up with your 50 Shades comments. My wife just read the series and wouldn't stop talking about it. I hope that's a good thing...
    ;)

    -Jimmy
    http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't read 50 SHADES yet, but I am pretty sure eventually it WILL appear on my "guilty pleasures" list. Though not convinced on the pleasures part, since I've read so many 1 star reviews of it on GoodReads :) We'll see.

    Great picks here! I haven't really heard much of the Used but you have made me want to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adore The Used's music, but haven't ever seen Donnie Darko, even though I really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haven't read 50 Shades yet, but I should. I need to read Hunger Games, too. Used is a nice band.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Michael,

    Haven't caught either the Harry Potter or the 50 Shades craze. However, I agree with you that it's interesting to find out what makes different stories popular.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs