Wednesday, September 12, 2012

On Top of the World


For a majority of my day I work as an assistant project manager for a glazing subcontractor. When I got the opportunity to transition from retail management to this, I had very little idea of what a glazing subcontractor was, but I was eager to learn. I was entering a whole new world.

We design and install the exterior skins of large commercial buildings, mostly window systems, but we're capable of doing everything exterior related. The exteriors of these two highrises are examples of what we do, but they're not ours. Our building is the one I took the picture from, my first opportunity to venture up to the quite twentieth floor. We're currently installing windows on the 10th floor.


I was hoping for a clear day, where you'd be able to see the ocean and quite possibly Los Angeles in the distance, but the fog shrouded the world around us. In a way, it was even more impressive.

I quite enjoy heights, and it was exilerating to be up that high with only a steel cable stretched across the empty window openings standing between me and a twenty story drop onto an active jobsite. There was so much commotion on the ground floor, but up there, it was peaceful. It reminded me of the opening scene in SUSY Asylum, with Desiree on the roof of Lorne Tower, gazing down over the edge, far removed from the rest of the city. I felt far removed. Alive. Free.

SUSY Asylum is now in the hands of several beta readers. I need to keep my mind occupied while I wait. It's time to start a new project.

How are your current projects going?

16 comments:

  1. I'm jealous. You have great views where you live. I'd love to be part of the L.A. crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I'd need a little more to make me feel safe! But glad you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shudder just thinking about being up so high with only a steel cable to protect me from a nasty and no doubt fatal fall. Like the picture though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two beta readers reviewing two different MS and I'm waiting too.

    Cool pix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! I'm terrified of heights.

    My current project is stalled at the moment. I'm having trouble coming up with an important plot point, and with my son starting kindergarten and all of us trying to get used to a new schedule, I haven't had much time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great views but I think I'd be to scared to have a job like that. I"m acrophobic, you see :S


    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going back to work tomorrow after almost 2 weeks off and this post makes me thankful for my job, because I wouldn't be able to do yours! :)
    I hope you hear good news from your beta readers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not do your job. :)

    I learned about glazing and pointing when working for a law firm. Don't let it fall on anyone's head.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to get my butt in gear on my next project. I would have been paralyzed in fear to stand where you did to take that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eerie, cool picture with the fog and everything! Now I know what glazing contractors do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate heights si you are my hero for staring into the sky through a construction site. Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely view! And heh, looking out that window will work while you're waiting for your beta readers ;)

    I'm getting antsy to start a new project...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm scared of heights so I'd never make it up there, but I love the photo! I agree that the fog made it even more impressive.

    Congrats on getting SUSY to the beta readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see the Lorne Tower vibe from that shot, very nice... taking a photograph can be such inspiration. Many of my favorite photos are ones I've taken from rooftops. As for SUSY Asylum... I am anxiously awaiting news, too! I can't wait to read your post when you get feedback from your readers...

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG Michael; that is awesome! What a sight. Your job sounds pretty cool too.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it interesting how people are so different. Where you find peace and quiet being at high elevations, and I would have a full-blown panic attack. When in high buildings, I can barely look out the window. It's great that you love your job. :))

    As for project(s), there are a few. Working on a new idea, waiting for illustrations for pb so we can submit, and slowly dragging my way through revisions. One might say I have too many irons in the fire, I say, maybe I need to build a bigger fire.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs