Wednesday, March 6, 2013

IWSG Wednesday: Indie ReCon



Happy first Insecure Writer's Support Group Wednesday for 2013. Thank you again to Alex J. Cavanaugh, the creator of the group. The first Wednesday of every month is dedicated to this group of supportive writers. If it's something you're not familiar with, then please click on Alex's link above for more information and to sign up!

Fellow indie author, M. Pax, introduced me (and a number of other authors) to an online indie conference called Indie ReCon. It was a three day conference of blog posts and chats with over 40 successful indie authors sharing their experiences, journeys, advice, best practices, strategies, and motivation. And the best part is that even though it took place two weeks ago, the posts and chats are still up for you to read...actually, 52 posts in those three days. It's probably obvious that there is a ton of material (it took me over a week to work my way through them all!). So if you're an indie author like me and interested in additional indie resources, then click on the icon below.


I have some new things to try in the way of marketing and setting up my business, building a brand and a fan-base, but my biggest takeaway from people who have the exciting opportunity to do what they love full-time is to keep writing. Most businesses do not become successful from one product alone, but from multiple. The same goes for authors. Of course, there are always the exceptions, authors that blow up from their first novel. But most successful authors build their following over multiple books. So with that, a core strategy of success is building your backlog.

There is so much great information for indie authors at Indie ReCon, so I so encourage you to check it out. I've bookmarked numerous links and taken a lot of notes to help develop new strategies for me as I continue on this bumpy self-publishing journey. And I'm starting to write again, beginning my third book, because writing and telling unique and personal stories is what it's all about.

Believe anything is possible.

And as always, thank you for reading!

14 comments:

  1. I'm sure there's enough good stuff to help any author! Good to know it's still up and available.
    I know it takes multiple books. That's why I'm still contemplating writing more or ending with my third.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I really regret missing this event, but I might just go by the website and see what I can learn from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same basic advice 'just keep writing'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved IndieReCon and was so happy to discover it. I'm now even more encouraged to try Self Publishing.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should check IndiReCon. First time I heard of it. And keep believing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the post, keep on writing.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been hearing about this. I need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it sounds great, Michael! Way to go on the writing again. Good for you.

    I've been caught up in the out-on-submissions blues trip lately, my creative lines are clogged. I know I just need to get back in the groove, but I seem to be subconsciously punishing myself. :/

    Gosh, I do not get around to your blog enough. Anyone up for inventing more time in the day? We could call it blog o'clock. :) Have a fabulous upcoming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like there's some good stuff there, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't able to get to the conference, so it's nice to have the archives--can't do that in a traditional conference!

    Lauren
    Lauren-ritz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you got something out of it. There was some good info. It seems getting more books out is what we have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you learned a lot. I've done something similar before with some other online con thing and not really learned anything new. Marketing all kind of seems like a crap shoot. I can get on board with the idea of "the best marketing is publishing your next book." That totally seems to be right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This totally passed me by - sounds like an excellent resource. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs