Wednesday, November 6, 2013

IWSG Wednesday: A Writer Writes Always



Happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Wednesday. Thank you again to Alex J. Cavanaugh, the creator of the group. The first Wednesday of every month is dedicated to this group of supportive writers. If it's something you're not familiar with, then please click on Alex's link above for more information and to sign up!

I'm sure many of you are five days deep into the avalanche of words that is NaNo. I commend anyone willing to take on the 50K word writing challenge and I'm in awe of anyone ending the month victorious. With that said, I have started November off strong with my writing (not at a 50K word pace, but a steady--daily pace), and I hope to build on the momentum I've started.

I want to call myself a writer, but when I look back at what I've written over the past year, I can't honestly call myself one. I spent a few months editing and rewriting, I spent a few weeks writing new material, and I wasted quite a few months not moving myself forward with my writing goals at all. If I want to feel confident in calling myself a writer, then I need to write much more than I have this year.

It's always easy to make grand, sweeping goals. Next year will be different. If I use every waking minute of free time, I can knock out three books in the next twelve months. I'm not going to set myself up for failure in this way. Goals are much more manageable when they're small, and small goals that are completed consistently lead to big accomplishments. I don't know what I can produce in the next month or the next week, but I will write 500 - 1000 words today. And tomorrow I'll make the same goal. With that word count, I won't have 50K at the end of the month, but if I'm consistent, I will have a completed draft of my third novel finished by early next year. And to me, that's an exciting goal and a damn fine accomplishment.

Good luck with NaNo. Keep writing. Enjoy the start to the holiday season. I'm looking forward to the release of the Starbucks Christmas blend (decaf for me since I'm still off caffeine). It really signifies the start to the holiday season for me. What about you?  

9 comments:

  1. Daily goals. That's a smart idea. We have to see some success or we'll grow frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I can move mountains on shovelful at time. Happy IWSG day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is such power in the intention of a vision and such release and relief in letting the details go. :) Write enough for today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daily goals is a great idea. Enjoy the Christmas Blend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a good plan to be successful. I hope to have my next book done by the end of the year though it could take a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goals are a great motivator. I don't think that 500 - 1000 words a day is too bad, but I prefer weekly goals, since I tend to write more on the weekends. Good luck with hitting your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm doing my own kind of NaNo this year. No goals. No rules. Just writing. I'm up to 10k, though I began the month with 7k. I do hope to finish a draft before the month is out, but if not, no stresses.

    And look at you go! I see you're 10% done with book 3! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Proud of you, Michael! NaNo is difficult for me--I do better with my own groove. And I'm definitely ready for the holidays. I need a little magic right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, NaNo is a hard commitment. However, I do think that 500/1000 words is a very respectable goal, and writing is more like a marathon that a sprint, so slow wins the race. Don't be upset and let this goal guide your efforts. I'm sure we'll see book 3 very soon!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs