Wednesday, March 5, 2014

IWSG Wednesday: Indie ReCon Recap



Happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Wednesday. Thank you again to Alex J. Cavanaugh, the creator of the group. The first Wednesday of every month is dedicated to this group of supportive writers. If it's something you're not familiar with, then please click on Alex's link above for more information and to sign up!

There were a lot of great posts from this year’s Indie ReCon. Surprisingly, much of the information was similar to last year’s online conference. There was some good information on writing and formatting, but what I primarily looked for this year was the most current and productive marketing strategies.

My biggest learning is that there is no one way to best market your book(s). Each indie author have his/her best practices, many of which conflict with the experiences of other authors. What was gold for one, worked poorly for another. And what works right now, may not work six months or a year from now. Trying and testing different techniques seems to be what’s needed, changing your approach and adapting. For one, I’m still trying to decide if it’s better to be exclusive with Amazon (to take advantage of the Lending Library and KDP giveaways) or have my ebooks up on the other major online retailers.

Here are my Top 10 posts from this year’s Indie ReCon (in order of time posted):
I know I have to dive more into marketing, but splitting my time between that and writing right now is difficult. I’m doing well with my writing, so I’m focusing on that until I can get my third book finished. The one piece of advice that all the successful authors can agree on is to keep writing. You want to sell more books? Then release more books. There are a few authors that make a killing off of one or two books, but most of the successful authors have many offerings for their fans and curious readers to choose from. So with that said, it’s time to get back to work.

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't believe it, but I totally forgot about Indie Recon last week! I had planned to take part and then is just slipped into the black hole of my head. Thanks for this list, I am going to check these posts out for sure. And congrats on your writing progress, that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links. Definitely a few I want to check out. Your last piece of advice is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a tough decision for listing your book. Some authors have listed with KDP for the first three months, then opted out to list their books with the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links, I came to your same conclusion after researching the marketing area of the work, the good thing is at least we writers have many opportunities now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vaughn wrote Let's Get Visible, which is worth a read.

    I have no wisdom on marketing, but I do believe getting more books out there is a big factor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, thanks, Michael! That list of links is awesome. Interesting insights on what works in terms of marketing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, i just read an article you might like. At the end he talks about the KDP Select program.

    http://blog.janicehardy.com/2014/03/discoverability-or-two-hundred-pocket.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent advice Michael. Thanks for sharing these tips. I always learn something from other blogger/author experiences.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs