Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hello, Insecure Writer's Support Group!



I'm not the last blog on the list any more! I was just excited to see that. This is my first post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. I'm glad I found it and thankful to have the opportunity to take part. I'm fairly new to blogging and I'll use this post to talk about my adventures, struggles, and triumphs in writing over the past few years.

I came up with an idea for a YA fantasy series a little over three years ago and began writing the first book, Provex City, finishing an early draft in about a year's time. It was my first attempt to write a novel and it needed a lot of reworking. I didn't want to take classes to learn how to write a novel first and then begin writing, so I just began writing and learned along the way. Once I was in the editing phase I signed up for a novel writing class at a community class and had my original prologue critiqued (which was about 12 pages). I got an interesting mixture of comments and took many of them into consideration for future drafts of my book. For the class, my novel had a different title, and since then I have also written a completely new prologue. But that class was encouraging because it showed me that people I didn't know seemed interested in my story.

Over the past two years, I've been editing Provex City and submitting queries to agents. That was a humbling experience. I wrote about this in my first blog post, but to make a long story short, I didn't get much in the way of responses. I've read a lot about not taking it personal, but it's hard and takes its toll over time. Do I start writing a completely different novel or book two in the series I already had planned? I have a few ideas for other books, but I really want to continue with my series. That's when I decided to stop submitting and seriously look into self-publishing. There are people becoming successful by publishing direct to Kindle. And that is something I can do now instead of waiting for someone else.

I realize that the people who are really succeeding through self-publishing are the minority, but I have to believe that it's possible for me to fall into that group. Why not? If someone else can do it, then why can't I? If I write a good book and model the strategies of authors succeeding doing what I want to do, then I should be able to achieve similar results. I like what Anthony Robbins says:
How long do you give your average baby to learn how to walk? How long do you give your average baby to learn how to walk before you shut her off and don't let her try anymore? Are you kidding? My baby will try until she learns how to walk. Try until. The magic formula for success. --this is not a direct quote
I keep telling myself that. My debut novel, Provex City, will be out on Amazon in the next few weeks, first in eBook and later in paperback. I am working on increasing my online presence and building a platform. I am writing daily on a first draft of my second book in the Lorne Family Vault Series. I tell myself that it's not a question of if, but when. Try until. I will continue to write, fight, and push toward my desired direction, knowing that the valley of successful writers lies just over the horizon. Thank you for reading. I'd love to read your comments. I hope I see you again before May!

Also, be sure to check out other writers in the group (the list is posted below).



8 comments:

  1. Hello Michael, Exciting times in your publishing household! Hope the book launch goes well. You certainly seem to have a great attitude and tenacity - you will need all of that over the next few months. I think having a series of books is a great plan - certainly I wish I'd had more in my back-catalogue as then you can really go for it and get leverage for future books based on the first in the series.
    Best of luck
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I am #94, popping in from Alex's blog, and a new member of your blog. Submitting to agents and publishers is a humbling experience! I think they are basically looking for anything in the manuscript they can say "no" to. I write YA fiction myself and have and have an idea for a series, however, after completeing the first draft in the series, my writing group informed me that it's important that the first book stand alone, because it is rare that the publisher will do a series if you're fortunate enough to get the first book published (hope that's not discouraging). In addition, I've done the self-publishing route myself ... it's a good experience and I've learned a lot, but nowhere near the sales I would have hoped for :( On a more encouraging note ... lol ... Feel free to pop by my blog. I'm trying to get a writing support group e-Magazine started where aspiring and established writers can get their work printed and provide constructive feedback to each other. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael, and welcome to the group! I'm a new follower and #61 on the list. You'll find everyone very supportive here, but you have to give in order to receive. To me, that means putting in the time to visit a few members, follow their blog, and comment along the way. This will garner you many new friends who may help you with critiquing, advise you on traditional or self-pubbing, or just give you the support you need. I've made a lot of friends here in the IWSG and they've brought me great comfort and invaluable support. I hope you find the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your story! It is encouraging to see other writers pressing forward despite obstacles like you've faced. Congratulations on your book launch!

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read with interest about your insecurities,
    I am a self publisher, I write poetry. My first book "Negative V. Positive" sold well both on Amazon.co.uk and through a local bookshop.
    My second "Written from the Heart" I have also put on Amazon.com also. It has sold a few copies but it's a wonderful feeling to hold your own book in your hand knowing it's all your own work. I was honoured with my second book to have Alex J, Cavanaugh to write a piece on the blurb of the book.
    Good luck with your book I'm sure it will sell.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your story. It's nice to know that there are other writers out there that suffer insecurities.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! Fellow IWSG member here. :))

    My hope is that when it comes time, I'll have the courage to follow in your footsteps and those of others who've taken the self-pubb'd route. I don't know what the future holds for me, and I've promised myself to query the ms to appropriate agents, but refuse to limit myself. My current wip, is a YA historical fantasy adventure, and I'm on my 2nd round of rewrites.

    Good luck with your endeavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Querying can be discouraging. I never queried agents, but mine went out to larger publishers first and then smaller and smaller as rejections came in. Didn't give up and finally landed a publisher. I admire anyone who decides to self-publish - it's a lot of work.
    Thanks for participating in the IWSG and sorry it took me so long to visit.
    And don't forget to turn off word verification before the A to Z Challenge begins.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs