Thursday, June 14, 2012

First Kiss!



Thank you to Jackie: Bouquet of Books and Dani: Entertaining Interests for hosting the First Fight / First Kiss Blogfest! Now it is time for the First Kiss. As promised, the scene below is also from Provex City. It is during Desiree's Halloween party and Oliver gets his first kiss from Desiree's best friend, Anna. Enjoy!


Desiree handed Anna her mixed drink, and she took a sip immediately.
“Com’on Anna, let’s go outside. Let’s pick up where we left off,” Todd continued, seemingly unfazed from the previous rejection. Anna looked like a confused little girl, clutching her drink with both hands, not really sure which way to go. Todd held his hand out to coax Anna toward him.
“I dunno,” Anna said, lingering next to Desiree.
Desiree looked back at me with a silent fury and bulging eyes, gesturing to me with her facial expression to do something.
Anna took a step toward Todd, who was using any means necessary to lure her to him.
Without thinking, I took action. I walked right up behind Anna, wrapped my arms around her waist, and pulled her into me. I whispered in her ear, “Would you like to dance?”
She instantly spun around in my arms with a gleeful “Sure,” and rammed her lips into mine in front of everyone. Her fangs hit my teeth and nearly cut my lip. I was so startled I almost pulled back, but I was so excited I pushed through the initial pain. Anna must’ve felt it too because she quickly pulled back, ripped the fangs from her mouth, and planted her lips back on mine.
Desiree gasped at the unexpected scene, and I heard Anna’s cup once again hit the floor. I internally cringed from the sound of the ice mixed splash, which sprayed the back of my pants. My eyes darted to Desiree and then around the group of onlookers. It was nerve-racking to be sober and the center of attention, so I closed my eyes and pretended we were the only ones in the room.
The moment was everything. Our arms were tight around each other, pressing our bodies together so I could feel her heart sweetly speaking to mine. Our lips danced passionately together and our tongues met, shyly at first, but grew more comfortable as they caressed one another. My head swam with the thought that this wasn’t actually happening, but my body couldn’t deny that it was.
Anna suddenly broke away, breathing heavily, looking smitten, guilty, and shocked all at the same time. We were both speechless for a moment, though probably for different reasons, so we just looked at each other. The expression on her face changed when she realized she had dropped her nearly full drink on the floor. “Oh my God, Desiree, I’m so sorry!” Anna cried and fell to her knees in an attempt to pick up the empty cup.
“It’s okay,” Desiree said, already with a wad of paper towels in her hand. I helped Anna out of the spill and back onto her unsteady feet. Guiding Anna to take a few steps back, I wiped off her knees and helped Desiree clean the floor.
Eli and his friends, having had enough of the spectacle, disappeared into the backyard. Hopefully, it was time for their second set, and they would be occupied for a while.
“Desiree, I’m so sorry! I don’t know what got into me.” Anna stumbled backwards and plopped down in a chair at the kitchen table. Other groups of people gathered around the kitchen went back to their conversations. We’ll probably be the talk of the school on Monday. “But may I have another one?”

Thanks for reading! Now, be sure to check out these other blogs participating in First Fight / First Kiss.

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful to read Michael.
    Sorry I couldn't take part have had problems.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! I need to get my hands on this book very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unexpected, passionate kiss. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful extract. I struggle so much with writing romance, so it's great to be reading everyone else's pieces. Yours flows so naturally (thinking I might learn something here.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the line "It was nerve-racking to be sober and the center of attention..."

    That's so true, isn't it?

    Great excerpt, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow great scene, I love the unexpectedness of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second the love for the line: It was nerve-racking to be sober and the center of attention...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good guy rescuing her from the jerk. Definitely deserves a kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like there are some interesting dynamics between these characters! Great excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a way of writing intensity in an understated way (if that makes sense). I really enjoy your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked all the descriptions of the stuff going on around them. So detailed. Great job!

    Thanks for joining our blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leave it to a love triangle to amp up the drama! Reading these past two excepts kind of makes me feel like I'm cheating on your book though. I'm looking forward to reading it start to finish now more so than ever. Thanks for the second sneak peek :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, everyone, for all the encouraging and positive comments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "...so I could feel her heart sweetly speaking to mine..." Definitely my favorite line. This was great. Now I'm just worried she acted because she was out of it or drunk.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs