Wednesday, June 27, 2012

WoW: A Message from the King and Lesser Things


I've mentioned on numerous blog posts and comments to others that the main writing book I use for insight and inspiration is Stephen King's On Writing. So I thought I could use my Wednesday on Writing segment to highlight some of the King's pearls of wisdom by opening to a random page and finding a quote worthy of noting. And I know every page is noteworthy, but this will be the test. I shall not cheat.
Talent renders the whole idea of rehearsal meaningless; when you find something at which you are talented, you do it (whatever it is) until your fingers bleed or your eyes are ready to fall out of your head. Even when no one is listening (or reading, or watching), every outing is a bravura performance, because you as the creator are happy.
                                     - page 145, Stephen King's On Writing

I've been having trouble balancing blogging and writing over the past few months. I've wanted to build my blog as much as possible, but my writing has suffered as a result. I've seen similar comments on other blogs, so I realize I'm not alone. Though over the past few weeks, I've put my foot down! And this time it wasn't under the wheel of a backing-up car (not a smart place to put your foot down). My writing has to come first. That's the reason I built this blog in the first place. So now I cut myself off if I haven't hit my allotted word count for the day, which is not always a painless process--I just need to check one more post! Just one more, and then I'll be done!

So with that, Book 2 in The Lorne Family Vault Series is chugging along and I can finally see the end. It's not within reach yet, but it's visible. I'm estimating to write that liberating final word in three to four weeks. I was so afraid when I started that it wasn't going to be as good as Provex City, but now I feel it will be even better once it goes through all the necessary rounds of editing.

My added motivation as of late is to get a new project started, which is in the planning stages right now. What is it you ask? I'm sorry, I cannot divulge such information just yet eager readers. But I can say that it's already keeping me up at nights with anticipation. This detour from Oliver's adventure won't be too long, but it will be refreshing to attempt a new story, with a new voice, and a new style.  Yes, that keeps me up at night.

How is you WIP going? Are you a fan of On Writing? Are you looking forward to the weekend already? The year's almost half over--isn't that crazy!?

14 comments:

  1. It is SO hard to strike a balance between writing, blogging, commenting etc. When you find it though, it feels really good!

    So glad to hear your next book is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it hard to keep up with thinking of things to write, reading and commenting blogs.

    At the moment I changed my template the blog is ok on Chrome but Internet Explorer all you get is a blank page.
    Oh I wish I kept well alone.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to blogging but I have noticed that my WIP seems to gather momentum the more I check out blogs. I wish I found this community a long time ago :) I may have to check out King's 'On Writing' as well.

    Good to hear that your next work is going well too. Seems like you have found that balance. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear that you have another project itching to be released. I'm finding it hard to think that far ahead ATM!

    I have allotted writing time set aside in the morning, but it can be hard not to check "a couple of posts" first. I have to make myself shut off the internet and then regret the time lost! On the whole, though, the benefits outweigh the negatives. There's a constant wave of support from blogger friends which can keep you buoyed up when, otherwise, it could be easy to get seriously downhearted at times. And I know this because I was writing before I was blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still seeking that balance between writing and blogging. It's hard to find time for it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Balancing it all is difficult. If I couldn't blog from work there's no way I could keep up. I have scaled back some as I'm writing now though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to check out On Writing. Good for you for coming up with a planned goal and sticking to it. I should do that too, but it is a difficult balance.
    I can't wait to hear what your new project is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this post. I've been struggling to find that balance lately too. The quote from King is brilliant and very true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kyra, thank you! :)

    Yvonne, IE seems to always have issues. I'm sorry to hear that.

    Clay, I'm trying to. Thanks!

    Nick, definitely, the support has helped a great deal.

    Dana, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

    Alex, I wish I could blog at work.

    Heather, I can't wait to announce it!

    Nicole, glad I could help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not read On Writing, but it is on my list. The WIP is going slow. I too am finding it hard to balance blogging and writing. And yes it is crazy that the year is half over. Hey let's coordinate on the SCBWI.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Stephen King quote. I have On Writing (somewhere, it seems to be lost at the moment). I read through it in a few days.

    And my WIP is going just fine. Hope to get it off to my editor end of August.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've found it amazing how much my writing improves from one book to the next, so no surprise that the next one will be better! I also cannot believe the year is half over.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  13. James, we'll talk over the weekend.

    Stephen, that's exciting!

    Allison, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been struggling with the balancing act, too. I often wonder how everyone does it!

    Good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs