Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hookers & Hangers Blog Hop: Hangers Edition



Hookers & Hangers Blogfest, July 16th & July 18th, presented by Falling for Fiction.

We all know how important the first and last lines are in every chapter. This blogfest will hopefully get your HOOKERS and HANGERS polished making it impossible for readers to put down your book and leaving them begging for more!

On July 16th, post the first sentence from each chapter.

On July 18th, post the last sentence from each chapter.

Post as many as you like!

We will be judging everyone’s first three HOOKERS and first three HANGERS. We’ll each pick two winners (MOST ENTICING HOOKER and MOST IMPOSSIBLE HANGER) making a total of ten winners! Winners will receive a 10 page (double spaced) critique and a Friday Spotlight on FFF! 

Here are a few of my chapter hangers from my newly completely first draft of SUSY Asylum (The Lorne family Vault Series, Book 2). I'll start it off with the song that goes with my number 1 for both posts.

  1. Desiree closed her eyes, let go of the railing, and instantly felt her weightless body slide back and take flight.
  2. Desiree pulled TJ into her like it was the end of the world and there would be no tomorrow.
  3. All I knew was I only had a few seconds left before everything went black and I lost more time, one more way I was at the mercy of Alexandria Lorne and her asylum.
  4. “TJ, please turn around; I’m coming out,” Desiree said with as much confidence as she could gather and slowly opened the door.
  5. “The voice in my head tells me we’re in the right spot,” I said and led the way into the closest building—Building 4C.
    Click on the picture at the top of the post to see the other bogs participating in this hop, and pay them a visit. Thank you, ladies of Falling for Fiction! I hope you've enjoyed this sneak peek into the sublime world of SUSY Asylum.

    23 comments:

    1. Great stuff! Number three is super gripping!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Excellent hangers, all of them were full of intrigue and would make me want to read the next chapter. My favourite was this one though: Desiree pulled TJ into her like it was the end of the world and there would be no tomorrow. - I loved the dramatic romanticism of it.

      ReplyDelete
    3. 1 & 2 are my favs! Well done, Michael!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Those are good. Really like the first one.

      ReplyDelete
    5. These are all great hangers. #1 is my favorite.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I liked #1 the best, even before listening to the song... after, I like #1 even more! Cheers.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Number 2 stands out to me as one in which I must turn the page. The others, I think, need a little work. Like the one that ends in Building 4C...I could see myself stopping there. Of course, I don't know the background to 4C so it may be that I've been waiting the whole book for this.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I really like the first Hanger. :-)

      ReplyDelete
    9. I like this one the best:

      All I knew was I only had a few seconds left before everything went black and I lost more time, one more way I was at the mercy of Alexandria Lorne and her asylum.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Both, your hookers and hangers, are fantastic! I'm so curious to read more. Well done. I'm sure your book will do amazingly. Good luck!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Great stuff. I loved #1
      Nutschell
      www.thewritingnut.com

      ReplyDelete
    12. They're all really well done. Can't decide if #1 or #2 is my favorite.

      ReplyDelete
    13. They're all very good. The first really grabbed me.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Emotionally intense! I want to know what's going on! Great job :)

      ReplyDelete
    15. Kyra, thanks, and an important hanger!

      Clare, thank you.

      Mina, thanks. :)

      Alex, thanks so much!

      Stina, thanks.

      Jeannette, I love the song and it fits the scene beautifully.

      Michael, thanks for you honesty. At least you seemed to like one of them.

      Misha, thank you.

      Stephen, thanks.

      Gina, thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

      Nutschell, thanks! :)

      Nancy, thank you!

      1000th Monkey, my personal fav., too.

      Mary, I appreciate that.

      Hope, Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Awesome. Number one is my favorite :)

      ReplyDelete
    17. Really great hangers. I think they're all great. #1 makes me wonder where she is that she's weightless. #3 makes me dying to read more and find out about this asylum.

      ReplyDelete
    18. It intrigues me that the POV switches from first person to third. Not a technique many writers use--but it sounds like you've used it very effectively!

      I love your hangers.

      ReplyDelete
    19. Nice lines, Michael - this is probably my fave:

      Desiree pulled TJ into her like it was the end of the world and there would be no tomorrow.

      ReplyDelete
    20. I vote #1 and #3. Both make me want to read more!

      ReplyDelete
    21. Cassie Mae, thanks! :)

      Jenny, thank you!

      Eagle, very cool of you to notice.

      Trisha, that's my fav too.

      Ink, thank you!

      Kelley, thanks!

      ReplyDelete

     
    Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs