Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday Musings: Living Things & A Versatile Award


Any Linkin Park fans out there? Their fifth studio album, Living Things, dropped last Tuesday, and I downloaded it that morning. It has to be one of the shortest "full" albums I own, clocking in at just under 38 minutes. Due to some backlash from  their last album, A Thousand Suns, this album was supposed to be getting back to their earlier stuff. I don't feel they succeeded in that. The tone of their music sounds closer to their last album then their first few. But to me, that's a good thing because A Thousand Suns is my favorite Linkin Park Album. It has a lot of versatile musicality, a nice change from their structured Nu Metal sound from Hybrid Theory. I think Living Things complements A Thousand Suns, like Meteora complimented Hybrid Theory. Yeah, that was kind of like a SAT question. The more I listen to the album, the more I enjoy it, despite it's lazy length. I just wish they would compose an album that clocked in at over an hour long.

Also, I received The Versatile Blogger Award from Jennifer @ donniedarkogirl. She’s a new member of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. If you have not yet checked out her blog, then I suggest you do. Thanks, Jennifer!



THE RULES:
  1. Nominate 15 (I'm sorry, but I don't follow all the rules) others for the award and inform them with a comment on each of their blogs.
  2. Create a post for the Versatile Blogger Award.
  3. In the same post, thank the blogger who nominated you in a post with a link back to their blog.
  4. In the same post, share 7 completely random pieces of information about yourself.
  5. In the same post, include this set of rules.

7 Completely Random Pieces of Information About Me:

  1. My first concert was Metallica on their Reload tour.
  2. I started wearing glasses in the fifth grade.
  3. I broke my arm on a Friday the 13th.
  4. I met my wife online.
  5. I’ve moved 10 times.
  6. I love to play ping-pong, and I’m actually fairly good at it.
  7. My longest relationship before my wife was 3 months (and my wife and I have now been together over 6 years)

I am picking 2 worthy people to pass on this award. Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on the award.

    I love Metallica. My favorite album is their self-titled one.

    I haven't listened to Linkin Park in a while. I don't think I've bought an album that short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award....well deserved.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a Linkin Park fan for years. Love their music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the award! I do like me some Linkin Park now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Michael! You rock. Congrats on the award and thank you so much for passing it along! Your 7 random pieces of info are great. Thanks for sharing! I have a huge crush on Metallica since my husband introduced me to their older music.
    Thanks again,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the award!

    And I love listening to Linkin Park, yet I don't know how I missed their new album coming out. I really liked their A Thousand Suns, so I'll definitely will have to check the new one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Metallica years ago too. I like Linkin Park but I have to admit I like their older stuff best. Congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Medeia, the black album is classic Metallica!

    Yvonne, thank you! :)

    Michael, that's awesome, and they put on a great live show!

    Nicole, thanks!

    Heather, their older stuff is classic. No one can do what they did.

    Cherie, I bet you'll like it.

    Heather, thanks, they put on a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the award. 15 bloggers, I'd have to nominate like half of the bloggers that follow me. I think I have to break the rule as well.

    So we are polar opposites when it comes to Linkin Park. I can't get enough of Hybrid Theory. And my interest wanes a little more each album. Maybe I just haven't given their newer music a chance. I'll listen to the new album and see. Have you caught the new Smashing Pumpkins? It feels like a cross between Adore and Melancholly, to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a disappointing to hear about LP. Sad really.

    Love the Random facts, Michael.
    My hubby plays ping pong ball too. He has a wicked backhand that he likes to brag about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the 6 years! Fantastic. And I bet the online meeting story is a fun one. Must share!

    I have liked some of Linkin Park's stuff in the past, but I haven't heard any of their latest stuff. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like Linkin Park but I haven't listened to them in a while... I'll have to check out their new albums. Congrats on the award!

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  13. James, I listened to the SM album and I'll have to try it again because I couldn't get into it.

    Mina, he sounds like a fierce competitor! :)

    Morgan, thanks, my wife likes to tell the story.

    Allison, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs