Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group Wednesday



Happy 4th of July, everyone! And happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Wednesday. Thank you again to Alex J. Cavanaugh, the creator of the group. The first Wednesday of every month is dedicated to this group of supportive writers. If it's something you're not familiar with, then please click on Alex's link above for more information and to sign up!

Provex City has been out for a few months now and I'm a few short weeks away from finishing a draft of the second book in the series. I've spent the past month writing with a fury to get this book done. Today, I'll be passing the 100,000-word mark and I'm estimating I have 10-15K more to go.

Now I'm getting scared again. This book will be taken from my sole possession and given to others to read. Dear God, the horror! The honor! And the inner conflict! On Provex City, I let my wife read chapter by chapter as it emerged hot from the printer. On this book, I've kept it mostly to myself, only sharing a few key plot points. I thought it would be easier this time, but I think it's harder. The expectations are higher. I should be a better writer. It has to be better. No pressure.

I'm in talks with Vic @ Sketcher Girl Studios for the cover design and I can't wait see how she makes my vision come to life! Also, I've decided to announce the title for Book 2 in my guest post for Arlee @ Tossing It Out on July 13th (Friday the 13th!). I'm planning on a character post, so it won't be me hijacking Arlee's blog, but an extra special guest (not Oliver). Hopefully, he'll be cordial.

So I'm excited of what's to come, but also petrified of how it will be received. Hopefully good, but it's not the end of the world if it's not. I will keep writing no matter what. Persistence and determination will win out in the end. These are my insecure thoughts for the moment, and now that moment has passed. Time to get back to writing. Book 2 isn't going to finish itself. Have a wonderful (and safe) holiday.

19 comments:

  1. I really admire your perseverance and discipline Michael. I know it sounds cheesy but you are inspirational to me - I like your attitude to writing and it's infectious in a good way. I look forward to your next book. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have great tenacity Michael and good luck with your book.
    Have a wonderful 4th July.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fear and the pressure you're putting on yourself is all a sign that you care, that you're passionate about your book. And that is the only way to write. That passion will come through to your readers and I'm sure they'll all love it as much as you do. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel a mixture of excitement and dread when others are reading my work. Here's to everything turning out well with your readers. I also think my writing has to be better now that I'm more experienced. I can't wait to see the cover design.

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We writers *really* put ourselves out there... But it's definitely a good thing ;)

    We can't wait to see the vision come to life either! Exciting times, Michael! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vic creates awesome covers!
    No pressure because I'm really darn sure you are a better writer.
    Although I certainly know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exciting. I can't wait to read the second book. You really have kept this new plot a secret. Having higher expectations for yourself can only help you to grow as a writer.
    The finish line is in sight. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clay, thank you, I appreciate it!

    Yvonne, thank you! :)

    Angeline, very true, thanks for the kind words.

    Medeia, thanks, I can't wait to post it.

    Morgan, thanks, I will!

    Alex, thanks for the encouragement. :)

    James, thanks, almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such an amazing writer. I am excited for you and hope one day I can be nervous about the same thing. Stay focused and great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with finishing novel #2. I know what you mean. You think a sequel will be easier, but it really isn't. You can do it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck. If your happy with it, that's what counts the most. Then hopefully everyone else will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, exciting! Looking forward to reading book 2, and best of luck in finishing it.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, you'll do wonderful, and book 2 will be everything you want it to be and more. I know you can do this!

    Just think, when your finished drafting, you can have fun writing other things while the ms is out for reads. :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whip, thanks so much! :)

    Cherie, thank you!

    Jessica, I hope so, fingers crossed.

    Allison, I's excited that you're excited. That means a lot. :)

    Candilynn, hmmm, a new project. Got anything in mind? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! Wishing you the very best with the original and the sequel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much, Lexa! And thanks for following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You sound like you are moving on well with book 2 Michael, good for you! You do not need to have any fear, I am sure it will do well too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 100,000 words on book TWO... that is an amazing accomplishment and inspiring to those of us still on book number one!!! I wish I could find a balance between a full time job, full time family and part time writing, but lately the latter has taken the back seat... no, more like the trunk... I wish I knew how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You may not know it but you really sound like you have your head straight on your shoulders.
    Keep up the great writing progress!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs