Monday, May 14, 2012

First Loves Blogfest


This is a one day blogging event created by Captain Ninja Alex, and I'm thrilled to be participating. This blogfest is focused around four first loves: first song/band, first movie, first book, and first person. I will keep this short and sweet so you can hopefully hit a bunch of blogs in the event today. And so shall I after the little is put to bed this evening. Enjoy!

Music: The self titled Skid Row album took me from listening to Michael Jackson into hard rock. I was in elementary school when the album came out and it was the catalyst that changed my taste in music and made me want to learn to play guitar. The song "18 and Life" instantly became my favorite song and still remains one of my favorites to this day.





Movie: I saw National Lampoon's Animal House earlier than I probably should have and obviously didn't get a lot of the adult humor, but I still found it funny. It was a movie my father loved, which for some reason stuck with me. It's got some all-time classic movie lines and speeches: "Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!" I got to appreciate it even more with my few years of fraternity living. But mainly this movie is nostalgic for me, taking me back to those times as a kid watching it with my father.


Book: In the summer between 5th and 6th grade I read my first Stephen King book, Pet Sematary. It scared the crap out of me, but influenced me into wanting to become a horror writer. For the next few years I didn't want to read anything but Stephen King. Lucky, I've grown up and broadened my reading list, but this book will always take me back to that summer when I thought I was too old to read kid books anymore. It's funny how things change.


 
Person: My wife, Marion, really is my first true love. I met her when I was a young 27 and we just seemed to click from the beginning. Before her I hadn't been in a relationship that lasted for more than three months. I made a lot of mistakes with girls through my teens and early twenties, but all those mistakes just led me to her. She is such a beautiful, smart, loving, friendly, passionate woman, who in many ways saved my life. I feel so lucky and blessed to have her as my wife and look forward to each new day with her and our beautiful new addition, Gwendolyn. I'm looking forward to many wonderful years together.

18 comments:

  1. I also blogged about the band which led me into my rock music obsession!

    BTW I adore your blog header. Is that a new image, I don't remember seeing it before? Super cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wife looks cute Micheal! Skid Row, good taste, glad you gave up Micheal Jackson! National Lampoons Animal House - hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skid Row! Awesome. And I love that you picked your wife! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife was my first love as well. And from Jackson to Skid Row! Quite a jump. They put out several great albums.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angeline, yeah, I had Lori from Imagination Designs (blog) redo my site.

    CM, thank you!

    Mina, Thank you! So was she, haha, which gave me brownie points. :)

    Alex, I saw that. We're just blessed with good fortune. I've got all the Skid Row albums and they're all great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love Skid Row: such great memories! My high school class song was "I'll Remember You." :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hell Yes on all!

    We all love something...right!
    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never actually read Stephen King, besides his book On Writing, which I loved. Very sweet story about your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skid Row were awesome - I had a huge crush on Sebastian Bach :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "18 and Life" is a GREAT song!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww, what a romantic story about you and your wife. Pet cemetery the movie scared me! I never read the book though. These are great :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dana, that is so classic!

    Jeremy, thanks!

    Allison, his On Writing book is my writing bible.

    Annalisa, he was a good looking guy, I'm not gonna lie.

    Nicole, there is no other song like it. :)

    Andrea, thank you, and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your ending, so sweet! I married my first love, too~

    Pet Sematary haunted me. I had left Bangor, ME and was in Pensacola, FL while reading it...it mentions that in the book. The next place I moved there was a huge Pet Cemetery...freaked me out(I'm a military spouse).
    I'm off to listen to that song :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michael, first time visitor and follower. Per Cemetary is a classic. I haven't read it in along time. Think i'll add it to my KindleFire.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That National Lampoon movie sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    Love did take its time finding you, but it sounds like it was worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ella, thank would be creepy, but I've always had an interest in cemeteries.

    Stephen, Thanks for the follow and for stopping by!

    JL, that it was, but I was patient. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, Michael. Great fun, Animal House. And yes, very quotable. Nice to meet you via the blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  18. JeffO, thanks for the comment and thanks for stopping by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs