Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day is a Great Day to Say Thank You

I had a blast participating in Cherie Reich's 2nd Annual Flash Fiction Blogfest and I'd just like to thank Cherie again for hosting it! She announced the six finalists on Friday, an eclectic collection of stories, all of which are great reads (certainly something for everyone). You can check them out right here:


I want to thank Ninja Captain Alex again for visiting my blog on Friday and sharing some thoughts on his humble beginnings. He is a writing and blogging inspiration to me, and by reading the comments on his posts every few days, I know there are many other writers/bloggers who feel similarly. I just hope my post did him and his first novel, CassaStar, justice.

From these two events, I've received comments from a number of new bloggers and I'd like to formally welcome you all. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope we can talk more.

Something I've come across time and again as I've been working my way though new blogs over the weekend is the cover release of Ciara Knight's novella, Weighted, which is set for an August release. I'd like to show my support as well and display the cover here. It looks freakin' awesome!  

Here's the blurb: The Great War of 2185 is over, but my nightmare has just begun. I am being held captive in the Queen’s ship awaiting interrogation. My only possible ally is the princess, but I’m unsure if she is really my friend or a trap set by the Queen to fool me into sharing the secret of my gift. A gift I keep hidden even from myself.  It swirls inside my body begging for release, but it is the one thing the Queen can never discover. Will I have the strength to keep the secret? I’ll know the answer soon. If the stories are true about the interrogators, I’ll either be dead or a traitor to my people by morning.

Are you a fan of Silversun Pickups? Their third album, Neck of the Woods, came out a few weeks ago and I've been listening to it exhaustively. I don't think it's better than Swoon; it feels more like a continuation than a progression of their sound. I hear more eighty's new wave influences in this album,  which I enjoy matched with Brian's raspy vocals.  


It is Memorial Day, so let's all take a moment of silence for those who have given their lives for the United States. And if you see a member of the US Armed Forces while you're out, please take a moment to say "thank you."


18 comments:

  1. I am so in love with Ciara's book cover! Every time I see it, I love it more and more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post to read Michael.

    Last Memorial Day I was in Washington DC , What a memory I hold, We also went to Arlington cemetary which was an awesome sight.

    Have a great Day.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank YOU for hosting me last Friday! Yes, your words for CassaStar were perfect - you saw the story I envisioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael :) Thanks for visiting my blog and following. Your blog looks really cool! I like the header :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to Arlington cemetery. It's amazing and humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kyra, I feel the same way. :)

    Yvonne, I haven't been to DC since I was in elementary school. I'd love to go back one day.

    Alex, thanks great to hear!

    Rachel, thank so much. :)

    Dana, I need to get back there one day. Washington has so much history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Weighted looks intriguing. So many books to put on my to-read pile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog and following. I've been a little scattered this week having just come back from vacation and trying to Do It All. In the process I forgot to follow you when I was here Friday. Mistake rectified.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Allison, I know...it's never-ending! :)

    Carol, a vacation sounds wonderful...I could use one myself. Thanks for the return visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are getting around, aren't you? Way to go! Hey maybe I'll get you to share my cover. My publisher & I are revealing it this Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nancy, I'm trying...and I'm totally game! Very exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My fingers were crossed for you.

    You did a great job on Alex's visit!

    We had a great day at our local Memorial Day parade. Freakin' hot but a great day.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Memorial Day is one of my favorite holidays. It's a great time for personal reflection, it falls in the beginning of summer, I get a paid day off, and yeah...it's just a great time to be thankful and get some rest and relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the theme of this post.
    I've said it elsewhere but I'll say it again, Ciara's cover is eye-catching and beautiful. I have cover envy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Weighted cover gives me chills...in a good way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww, you're welcome! The Flash Fiction Blogfest was a blast. I'll definitely have to have another one next May.

    And I just love Ciara's cover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ciara Knight's book is definitely getting a lot of attention! :)

    Hope you had a good Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heather, thank you! I can't wait for my daughter to be a little older to take her to a parade.

    Michael, I am thankful for all those things!

    Cate, thank you! :)

    Nicole, I concur!

    Cherie, can't wait. :)

    Eagle, I did, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs