Sunday, May 6, 2012

My A to Z April Challenge Reflections



This was my first A to Z Challenge and it was intense to say the least, but a great intense. First off, I'd like to thank all of the co-hosts for their hard work put into this challenge. It felt great to be a part of it!

I met some awesome people during this challenge. I wish I'd had the time to explore more blogs. Most of my nights consisted of writing the post for the next day and visiting 10 to 15 blogs. Since I couldn't really start working until my three-month-old went to bed, between 8:30pm - 9pm, I was sometimes up until midnight trying to keep up--which I paid for the next day at work.

I consider myself a novice blogger and each new group or challenge I find is an adventure. My biggest takeaways are planning better and having a theme. I loved the themes of blogs I visited. With this being my first year, I wanted to give myself every opportunity and not have to write within the constraints of a theme. But next year I know I'm up for the added challenge. My plan at the beginning of the month was to write the week's posts each weekend so I could focus my weekday nights on commenting. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I started out behind and never caught up. Next year I will plan for that in advance--not the weekend before the challenge starts.

I also learned from the challenge about the importance of having a blogging schedule. I'm seeing that post schedule-wise, it's good to be predictable, so I'm planning to do that moving forward. I think having a guaranteed three posts a week will be a good start: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. That will also leave me ample time to comment and explore.

Thank you to all of my new followers! And thank you for all the wonderful comments. I've felt like a real blogger this past month. It's been great talking with you throughout April and I hope we can continue to do so. I'm sorry I wasn't able to get to more blogs, but I'll be using the lists for this and the IWSG to branch out and meet new people as I continue down this blogging journey.

14 comments:

  1. Great reflections post! I agree with you Michael it is the time constraints which control your individual blogging time! It would be nice to have more time to visit more sites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful reflection post, it was and still is a pleasure to read your blogs.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the challenge helps give a writer more purpose too. I think you did a great job. Look forward to more of your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll find having a theme is more liberating. Glad you enjoyed it though. Think this was our best year ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice reflections - I agree. Thanks for your posts throughout the challenge, too. I enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always have great plans. They never work out but at least I have them!
    :)
    Congrats on the challenge and thanks for the support!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. CM, definitely, if only I could blog at work.

    Yvonne, thanks so much!

    Mina, it's definitely given me perspective.

    Alex, I'm looking forward to the next challenge.

    Nicole, thanks! :)

    Heather, if we keep planning, one just might accidentally work out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did great, Michael. I enjoyed very much reading your posts and I'll be very happy to keep following your blog. Congrats on making out it alive!

    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gina, thanks, and we both made it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came across a few blogs towards the end and wanted to go back to explore the rest of their alphabet, but time didn't allow it. Yours was one. I've also decided to write a few times a week. Glad that you're keeping the light on here! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Archna, I'm looking forward to your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you on making a schedule, although I promised myself that last year, and never followed through....
    Congratulations on surviving the Challenge, and I hope that we can all meet up one day, and recall all the A-Z challenges!


    English Speaking Zone

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulation on finishing the challenge. I didn't visit all blogs during the challenge but, cross my heart, I'm visiting every single one with reflections post!
    Evalina, This and that...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your reflections post. I hear you about the late nights. I often wouldn't get started until 9 p.m., then would stay up until I could finish writing and reading, which was usually pretty late (or early, depending on how you look at it). I didn't find your blog during the challenge, but I'm glad I found it now. Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs