Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My Lighthouse



Staring at the lighthouse on the IWSG's official picture, made me think of the framed lighthouse picture on the wall of my study. It's a white lighthouse perched atop New England bluffs, casting its spotlight out into the dark ocean. The caption below the picture reads:
Vision: The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.
Whenever I'm stuck on my writing or debating an idea, I look at that picture. It helps me find my focus--focus on what I'm trying to achieve and not "why are my thoughts so muddled?" If I focus on "what am I trying to achieve," then I will eventually find the answer I'm looking for. If I focus on "why are my thoughts so muddled," I will be supplied with an answer to that question, too, which will not help my writing whatsoever.

I look at that picture and dream big. All big dreams started with a vision, nothing more. The man who built Starbucks into the behemoth it is today, Howard Schultz, had a vision of bringing the European coffeehouse experience to America and for it to become the world's leading coffee authority. At the time, he worked for the owners of Starbucks in one of their few Seattle stores. The owners didn't share in his expansive vision, but Howard didn't let that deter him. He started his own coffee shop, grew the locations, and came back and bought Starbucks out. And that was just the beginning. Fast forward twenty years, whether you like coffee or not, I'm pretty confident this isn't your first time hearing about Starbucks. That is the power of vision.

Vision alone will not build your dreams for you, but you need a vision to decide what you want to build. Is your vision clear? What is the lighthouse shining on for you?

13 comments:

  1. To be healthly, happy and have a united family.

    Great post Michael.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to see what we want and focus on that.
    And thanks - some people can't see the image is a light house. Well done, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it, but I never noticed the image is a lighthouse! I love lighthouses, and have visited New England many times so your picture sounds wonderful to me. Very inspiration post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oscar Wilde has one that makes me happy-

    "A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

    This is lovely, I'm glad I stopped back in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Michael! Vision is key. I also, am enlightened about the picture being a light house in the first place :)

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yvonne, those are great things to have. :)

    Alex, I actually just noticed that last night.

    Julie, I haven't been in a while, but I love New England, too!

    Archna, Thanks so much! :)

    Allison, I'm trying. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Michael! I never got beyond the words on the image. But, of course, what better image for our group, but a lighthouse. Alex is brilliant.

    I think my vision is clear. I know what I want. Keeping the lighthouse beaming on the "want" is where I get a bit off track. Life distracts me or shall I say, I allow life to distract me!

    Great thoughts & thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very inspiring post Michael,keeping focused and forging ahead is the way to go, but a little dreaming on the side doesn't hurt anyone really, does it? Just as long as the person doesn't get caught up in it and loose their way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Without vision we're just wandering in the dark. Thanks for the encouragement to find mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candylynn, I know the feeling, life can often times get in the way.

    CM,I believe a little dreaming is a great thing.

    Bethie, of course! Thanks for the visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yet another inspiring post. Thanks. I need to find a good poster to put in my office for inspiration. At the moment there is bits of old study charts and a white wall. The old lonely lighthouse is a good one. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do this too through meditation. I'm struggling alot with my current MS. Its frustrating, but I try to focus on the big picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clay, there are so many others, but I like my lighthouse.

    Mina, I'm with you, I wanted to have my MS done by the beginning of summer and at the rate I'm going it's going to be pushed out to early fall.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs