Monday, April 30, 2012

"Z" is for Zip-lining

My wife and I have gone on two cruises together now (she's been on many more, but I've only been on these two), one through the Caribbean and the other to the Mexican Riviera. On these cruises, we bought shore excursions for zip-lining, which was another first for me! It was so freeing gliding through the air between posts, several times hundreds of feet in the air. I am quite fond of heights and speed, so the experiences were everything I could have hoped for. My biggest problem was sometimes going faster than recommended and landing too hard at the far end. I wasn't worried about hurting myself, but I didn't want to accidentally kick the guy helping us through the course.

The zip-line adventure we went on in Antigua was located deep in the rainforest, beautiful scenery for soaring through the air, gliding from tree posts and hiking through the forest. This was my first experience. It sucked that you couldn't take pictures because they had a photographer and wanted you to buy their pictures. That's how they get you! And you have to buy at least one.


At our stop in Cabo, we were driven out into the desert for about an hour and zipped over rocky canyons. And it was hot! But we were given ice cold water backpacks. Also, the fun thing with that adventure tour was that besides zip-lining, it had rock climbing, a hanging bridge, and repelling. And the final line started at the highest point and extended a third of a mile! 


I can't wait until Gwendolyn is old enough, so my wife and I can take her. I'm sure zip-lining will make for great family bonding time.

13 comments:

  1. My those pictures look very impressive. Not that I could even think of doing that.
    Wonderful Z post.
    Congrats on finishing the challenge.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just read Grover's post on Zorging - which was pretty cool too. I need to try both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave brave man!
    It looks like fun though.
    Thanks for sharing with us!
    Congrats on finishing the challenge and your support!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would be chicken to do this, but it looks like a lot of fun. I bet your daughter will be thrilled to have the chance to go on these adventures.

    I'm so glad to have met you through the Challenge, congrats on a great month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did come up with a 'Z' post! Good job. Nice to meet you on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zip lining is fantastic! I did it while in Cabo several years ago, and it was such a wild experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as I'm not spinning around, I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zip lining is definitely on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Antigua sounds awesome and you look like a pro. My older two sons have tried zip-lining with the same passion for speed and height. It makes me worry.

    I've enjoyed the parts of your blog that I've seen. Congrats on finishing the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm such a coward, I could never zip-line! Keep taking every chance life throws at you to enjoy yourself, I do it myself but from a close distance to the earth. =)

    Congrats on making it to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yvonne, thanks so much! We made it!

    Mina, I need to check that out.

    Julie, I hope she's not afraid of heights. It's been great talking with you too.

    Joy, I'm grateful for that. Nice to meet you too!

    Nicole, did you go to Cabo Adventures?

    Alex, keep your hand far enough back and you won't spin.

    Allison, now I need to bungee jump.

    Archna, the photographer makes me look good. haha

    Gina, there are an endless amount of ground level chances!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks and sounds like a ton of fun. I'm tall though, my feet leaving the ground is sort of a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Passing by to congratulate you for hitting the finish line, and to thank you for your many kind comments.

    You might like to stop by www.a-to-zchallenge.com to pick up your "I survived" badge. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs