Friday, April 13, 2012

"L" is for Lasik

I had been wearing glasses for over twenty years. Waking up to a blurry world just seemed normal. I didn't hate them, I didn't love them, they were simply what I was used to. I tried out contacts for a few years, but since I had a rather severe astigmatism, the contacts needed to correct for it weren't very comfortable. So I became a part time contacts wearer...very part time.

Four months ago, I decided to test my visual fate with Lasik eye surgery. I did the research, went to the consultations, and ultimately took the plunge. And it was a great decision! The results have been phenomenal. I had to sign my sight, life, and soul away on more wavers than I care to count, but I ended up being another success story for their file.

After the surgery, I was so drugged and woozy, I couldn't believe some people actually went to work the next day. And when the anesthesia wore off my eyes felt like they were burning hot coals. I was instructed to take another Xanax and go to sleep and when I woke up the next morning I'd be able to see. It was hard to believe, but after the second pill I passed out and the next thing I knew it was morning. For the first time that I could remember, I opened my eyes and saw my room clearly without fumbling around for my glasses. It was a miracle!

Now I won't go flowering things up and say it all was wonderful. The recovery process was lengthy and trying at times. There were a few times that I went out for the afternoon and forgot to bring eye drops, and they were burning horribly by the time I returned home. But over the past four months, the burning went away, the dryness and night vision has lessened significantly, and I've still got 20/20 vision. All in all, I'm quite the happy camper! For people in the Southern California area, I'd highly recommend my doctor, Dr. Tooma, in Newport Beach.

Happy Friday the 13th and thanks for stopping by!



8 comments:

  1. I've managed with contacts for the past ten years but don't think I'm brave enough to try surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wearing contacts since I was 16. I occasionally wear my glasses, but prefer to be able to wear my sunglasses outside so I deal with the dry eyes. I've thought about Lasik, but I'm a huge chicken! My eye dr said I'm a perfect candidate, but I don't know. I'm scared! I'm glad it worked out for you. Maybe I'll start to think about it more seriously. Good luck with the rest of the challenge. Happy Friday the 13th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an incredibly brave thing to do. Although it must be great being able to see stuff again - I'm the fumbler for the first few hours of rising because it takes a while to focus. Congrats on the good result!
    Wagging Tales

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to know it worked for you. My brother had it done, and he called right after the surgery and told me to never, ever get it, so now I'm a big fraidy cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The use of Wavefront technology during a LASIK surgery is also known as custom LASIK, and consists of using three dimensional measurements that determine how your eye focuses on light rays. become an optometrist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blogs and every other content is so entertaining and useful It makes me come back again.Michigan Lasik Experts Visit Site Yaldo Eye Center

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wana thank you for providing instructive and qualitative stuff so often.Lasik eye surgery Visit Site https://yaldoeyecenter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this best stuff with us! Keep sharing! I am new in the blog writing.All types blogs and posts are not helpful for the readers. if you want to Setup Router, you have to log in to your Router , please go to site 192.168.l.254

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs