Saturday, April 21, 2012

"S" is for Soundtrack

Below is the soundtrack/playlist for Provex City that I created during the writing of my first draft to reflect the mood I felt while envisioning the unfolding events. So each song fits a certain scene in the story. As I wrote, each scene played out like a movie, and the most memorable scenes in movies to me are scenes with powerful music.

Like I highlighted in my last post, I love the movie Good Will Hunting, which a lot of it has to do with the music (mainly Elliott Smith). Some other movies I love with music that stands out for me are: Vanilla Sky, Donnie Darko, Almost Famous, The Butterfly Effect, The Girl Next Door, American Beauty, and Braveheart (for its score). Not all of these are great movies objectively, but movies I love due to the power the chosen music brings to the scenes.

So something I wanted to do at some point, which just became today, was to release the Song-to-Scene Key for Provex City's soundtrack/playlist for anyone who's read or plans to read the book. Enjoy. :)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


  1. Running up that Hill – Placebo (An intro for the whole series)
  2. The Leaving Song – AFI (Helen waking a five-year-old Oliver)
  3. Rhinoceros – Smashing Pumpkins (First day of sophomore year at a new school)
  4. All Cleared Out – Elliott Smith (Oliver researching Elliott Smith on his computer)
  5. The Fixer – Pearl Jam (After the first session with Mr. Gordon)
  6. Mamma Sed - Puscifer (Trek to the cemetery)
  7. Royal We – Silversun Pickups (Escape from mall security)
  8. Hide and Seek – Imogen Heap (On the dance floor - playing over actual party music)
  9. Snuff – Slipknot (Jeremy vanishing in the quad)
  10. Restless Heart Syndrome – Green Day (Visiting Richard in the hospital)
  11. Hurricane – 30 Seconds to Mars (In Hollywood, Oliver's glimpse of the phantom buildings)
  12. Paradise - Coldplay (Oliver and Jeremy rocketing down the side of the building in a glass elevator, looking out at Provex City)
  13. Mad World – Adam Lambert (Aftermath of the events on top of Lorne Tower)
  14. In the Darkness – Dead by Sunrise (Friend's reunion, the last scene)

12 comments:

  1. Green Day and Slipknot next to Lambert - that is quite the variety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Placebo track and AFI and Pearl Jam and The Smashing Pumpkins.

    Music is tranquilizing, it sets any scene.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive! It's nice to have something to help put our minds in creative mode. It would be fun to have a cd soundtrack to go along with a book!

    Thank you for the kid words on Karen's blog. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, indeed it is, wait 'til you see what music I've got planned for the second book's playlist.

    Archna, Thanks! They really help me get in "the zone."

    Amy, that would be awesome, and of course. Thanks for the add!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the concept of this blog, unfortunately could not listen to all because of copyright reasons.
    Wonderful post and most enjoyable.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome soundtrack. Makes me even more interesting in reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Extensive list.
    Great songs.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the idea of soundtracks for novels. :) Some good songs on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yvonne, sorry about that, I don't know why.

    Julie, that's exciting, thanks!

    Heather, thank you!

    Nicole, there should be a way to do it. *thinking*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Music definitely helps set a scene. I love that you've chosen songs to go with your book. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mina, Thanks!

    Joy, now I need it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs